Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ms. Mashava Shares Her Success Story


Pictured above, Plaxedes Mashava is making a testimonial to the benefits of ASAP’s Kufusa Mari Urban project, part of the Joint Initiative (JI). Project ongoing since 2006. “I reside at Block 9, Room 4 OTS, Sakubva Mutare. I joined the JI Internal Savings & Lending (IS&L) in October 2008. As a widow, I used to face many money related challenges until a friend advised me to join IS&L clubs in Sakubva. I realized that the food donation would sooner or later be a thing of the past so I joined the Kubudirira IS&L group in OTS, Sakubva. To date, I have managed to raise money to meet part of my family electricity bills, monthly rentals and food. My daughter no longer feels the absence of her father because I can now manage to meet her basic needs from the profits I am realizing out of IS&L activities.”

The goal of the Joint Initiative Project is to restore dignity and reduce suffering for the most vulnerable people in urban and peri-urban areas of Zimbabwe. This is a collaborative project between Mercy Corps, Save the Children, Practical Action, CARE and Africare. ASAP’s role in this project is to adapt the Kufusa Mari village savings and lending model, which we have been implement since 2001, to the urban area outside of Mutare.

ASAP is proud to bring our ethos of long term economic strengthening to improve the households’ resilience to promote self-reliance. Working as part of this large, holistic, collaborative project, which also fills immediate urgent needs such as food and health care, the results and response have been spectacular.

No comments: