Monday, September 15, 2008

Zimbabwe Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangairai


After the Zimbabwe power-sharing deal was sealed last Thursday, Tsvangirai said there was need to immediately address the food shortages and attract foreign aid.

“The first priority is to unlock food accessibility,” Tsvangirai said amid loud guffaws. He said there was need to begin filling up the empty shop shelves, fill hospitals with doctors, teachers and ensure a rejuvenated public service. He said he envisaged a new Zimbabwe that was part of the family of nations.

Tsvangirai acknowledged that it was not the best deal and said he had made “painful concessions”.“I signed this deal because it represents the best opportunity to rebuild a prosperous place. I signed this deal because my belief in a new Zimbabwe runs deeper than the scars I bear from the struggle. I signed this deal because my hope for the future is stronger than the grief I feel for the past excesses.”Tsvangirai quoted Mugabe’s 1980 acceptance speech amid loud cheers. He said hatred belonged to the past and called for national healing.

Extracted from The Zimbabwe Times

No comments: