Friday, September 01, 2006

From ASAP Africa Co-Founder Elizabeth Bara


Recently I was honored to be nominated for the Sargent Shriver Award for Distinguished Humanitarian Service by a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer. Although not the selected candidate, the letter sent out informing me of this decision was so inspirational that I wanted to share it. As World Citizens, this message pertains to each person that makes and effort, however small, to make the world a little better place.

It is from Paul Thompson, the 1989 recipient of the Sargent Shriver Award and one of the panelists this year.

Thank you for restoring my hope, for reminding me that dreams do come true, for inspiring me to recreate my own vision, and the humbling opportunity to review and reflect on the tremendous accomplishments that each of you and your communities have shared as part of this process.

You are clearly all winners of Humanitarian Service to the Planet, and the true joy and glory of your work is only as far away as the next smile of the village child, the next educated Mom or Dad who can now help their neighbor understand HIV more clearly, or the bicycle that works because of the repair shop down the road.

I wish all of you good health, long life and loving communities in which to share your passion and wisdom.

Terima Kaseh (thank you in the Mayaysian national language…literally translated “receive love”)

Paul Thompson

No comments: